8.04.2006






I'm back in that old place again,
Watching the smoke rise, exhaling towards the screen in front of me.
Once again, I'm in that beloved city, the one I called home for one short year.
In one short day I am romanced in a park, bumping into people who wander the streets, challenging the rules of a members only pub...

Nostalgia comforts me. Downtown seduces me.
One Great City they call it.
Or simply The City, to whom it isn't home.



Billy Holiday, along with a beat created in this very place:
that is my soundtrack tonight.





Then there's that old church down the street, the one with red brick and stained glass. The one that forced me to think, doubt, and see beauty.

And my precious friend:
who taught me to choose character above beauty.
Love of light and Christ.














All of this, along with Portage Avenue, are the things that make this city seminal.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

soak up all the nostalgia you can, my darling, then blow a kiss with all your love for Winnipeg back at that baked prarie air, board a plane, and come home to us.
I love you.

August 05, 2006 12:13 a.m.  
Blogger the tapered pant said...

finally, yesterday, in the company of stars that lit the sky on fire, and lightening bellowed back, I realized that this paradox I live to survive is persistent and sewn well into me, and what's different now is only that my heart is broken at your leaving. But I see you're in good hands.

August 05, 2006 9:56 a.m.  
Blogger from mel said...

you are a genius.

i am so proud to be your friend.

mel

August 07, 2006 6:51 p.m.  
Blogger the tapered pant said...

hey kristina...
what else happened while you were in winnipeg?

August 15, 2006 9:51 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home