1.12.2010

we will be watching no television for one month.
my aim is to document that month with all else we find to do instead.






night number one:
  • made housemade foccacia bread with fresh rosemary and course sea salt
  • looked at world atlas - studied gender equality and development index, population statistics, solar systems, temperatures according to season.
  • took particularly close looks at Central and South America (for coffee locations and sources) as well as South East Asia (ibid) and Canada
  • began to talk about/plan a trip across Canada for summer, 2010
  • went through old photos
  • enjoyed a colourful and delicious dinner, while talking, laughing, and peering over the world's map, eating warm bread and dipping it in oil and vinegar
  • started a list of letter recipients
  • fell asleep reading

5 Comments:

Blogger the Dickerson family said...

so inspiring.
good to see you writing again!

January 13, 2010 10:07 a.m.  
Blogger aejrussin said...

although I don't watch too much TV as it is (only hockey and the national) I think I can apply this to my evenings.

I was thinking something like specifically one hour for reading, one hour for writing.

i LOVE atlases!

January 16, 2010 7:09 a.m.  
Blogger Nancy G said...

Well, I've got news for you. Some people go years without tele.

I was too poor for cable TV, and lived in the mountains with little or no analog reception. I went nearly FOUR YEARS without any TV, except when i went to the laundromat or was stuck in in a hospital waiting lounge...and, I had no radio, either...sometimes, for a few months, I didn't have internet.

At times, for months, all I had was five CD's, 15 DVD's, and 150 books. No video or computer games, no internet, no phone, no radio, and no friends or relations closer than 100 miles away. And you know what? I survived!

I read, I blog or write poems, stories, etc. I go for walks, I play cribbage online, I hang with my pets...I keep myself occupied.

Do I get bored? Oh yes! But, do I just sit around and do nothing all day? Nope.

Remember, 100 years ago, there was no TV, no radio, no video games. Yet, everyone managed to keep themselves entertained--they talked, read, listened to recordings or went to concerts, silent films at the cinema, played board and card games.

Of course, until recently, I worked a lot, often 6 to 7 days a week for months on end, so that kept me pretty well occupied, as well.

Good luck with your TV-less experiment. I hope you fare well.

January 21, 2010 1:00 p.m.  
Blogger eja_crepusculario said...

This sounds like a dream night. You two are babes.

April 16, 2010 9:56 a.m.  
Anonymous Shoutheasken1961 said...

This is cool...this blog so impressive.

February 17, 2013 5:01 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home